Carambola or star fruit that comes from the Malayan peninsula, but people from the Southeast Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and the southern part of the USA are well familiar with it. It has yellowish color when it is ripe and provides a sweet and sour taste, like a combination of pineapple, pear, citrus, and grape. It contains 31 calories in 100 gr and is packed with many nutrients like niacin, folate, lutein, antioxidants, vitamin C, B, riboflavin, iron, zinc, potassium, manganese, and calcium.
What are the health benefits of star fruit?
- Fights insomnia and improves sleep – the magnesium it contains is essential for a healthy and peaceful sleep. In case you have issues falling asleep you should consume this fruit.
- Beneficial for the development of a fetus – the folic acid, or vitamin B9 it contains is very beneficial for pregnant women and the babies. It is essential during the first months of gestation as it helps in the development of the neural tube and the brain of the baby. The fruit should be consumed after giving birth to aid in the formation of breast milk.
- It provides antimicrobial properties – according to many studies, the fruit is able to successfully fightinfecions which are caused by salmonella, staphylococcus aureus, klebsiella, E. Coli, and pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Strengthens the immune system – the vitamin C in this fruit contributes to boosted immune system, protecting from viral diseases like common colds, flu, and other.
- Improves digestion – the amounts of fiber in star fruit help in digestive issues as they clear the intestines and bound great quantities of water, preventing constipation. To improve digestion, consume it after heavy meals.
- Lowers cholesterol – star fruit is packed with fiber beneficial for your heart health. They lower bad cholesterol, the main reason for clogged arteries. It also raises the levels of good cholesterol.
- Regulates hypertension – the low amounts of sodium (the main enemy of the blood pressure) and lots of potassium helps in regulating blood pressure.
- Controls diabetes – diabetics can consume the fruit without causing sugar spikes as the fruit contains low sugar levels. Moreover, the fiber in star fruit will help in preventing fast glucose absorption from the gut, while the blood sugar levels will maintain constant throughout the day.
- Improves eye-sight – the vitamin A in carabmola contributes to a perfect health for your eyes.
- Is great for the skin – the fruit contains flavonoids which can assist you have a healthy skin and will prevent diseases like psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. The fruit will also help you with acne issues due to the great amounts of zinc it contains.
NOTE: people who suffer from kidney failure, kidney diseases, or are on kidney dialysis must not consume this fruit due to the high amounts of oxalic acid which can cause vomiting, confusion, and nausea. Moreover, when taking meds like opiates, benzodiazepines, or satins you have to be cautious as the fruit can interfere with them.