You may well know the many well-documented benefits of avocados in your diet, but did you know that the seeds are even better? It's true: Avocado seeds are even richer in antioxidants than the fleshy fruit, and we're here to tell you all about it.
Avocado seeds have more antioxidants than most fruits and vegetables (more, even, than most healing teas), and the seeds give you more soluble fiber than any other food! Additionally, avocado seeds have a nourishing, antioxidant-rich oil that lower high cholesterol and help prevent stroke and heart disease.
Eating avocado seeds is a great way to reduce inflammatory diseases in the body. Specifically, the avocado seed’s powerful benefits work to ease swelling in the gastrointestinal tract, and avocado seeds help relieve diarrhea and constipation naturally and effectively.
Here are five huge reasons why you should eat avocado seeds:
- 1. Kills Cancer Cells: 70% of the antioxidants in avocados are found in the seeds. The seeds contain flavonol, a powerful antioxidant that helps to prevent and reduce tumor growth. A 2013 study published in Pharmaceutical Biology found avocado extract from the flesh caused leukemia cells to self-destruct. In a more recent study published in the peer-reviewed journal Cancer Research, researchers discovered that a compound found in avocado seed extract called avocatin B was effective against acute myeloid leukemia cells. In total, study researchers tested 800 natural health products against the human acute myeloid leukemia cells.
- 2. Strengthens The Immune System: Avocado seeds contain procyanidins and catechins. They have anti-inflammatory properties that reduce stiffness, swelling, joint pain and diseases. Flavonol in avocado also boosts the immune system and help protects from cold and flu.
- 3. Heals Digestive Issues: For centuries, avocado seeds have been used in South America to treat gastrointestinal tract issues, including gastric ulcers, constipation, and diarrhea. These anti-inflammatory seeds contain more soluble fibers than most other foods on our planet!
- 4. Protects Heart Health: Avocados are an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and thanks to their amino acid and dietary fiber content, the seeds can help lower cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular issues such as the formation of plaque, which can lead to strokes and heart attack
- 5. Live Longer, Feel Better: The seeds don’t just help you look younger, they help you feel younger too. Compounds in avocado seeds have the ability to reduce bone disease, joint discomfort, and aches and pains. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals that cause illness and premature aging. Avocados and their seeds, actually slow down the aging process because of their ability to synthesize collagen. Avocado seeds can lower blood glucose levels and help you maintain a healthy weight. Due to its high content of good fats, you will stay satiated for longer, meaning you won’t be munching on snacks all day long.
So now you’re asking, “how can I get all these amazing benefits from this huge seed?” Of course you can’t just bite into it, and it won’t go through the juicer, so how do you get the goodness out of this seed?
Check out the video below:
The next time you eat avocados, keep the seeds and wash them. Dry them with a paper towel and put them into a dehydrator or oven to bake it. Heat the oven to 250 F (120 C) and bake the seeds for 2 hours, till the outer skin of the seed cracks. Discard the outer skin.
The seeds will now be soft enough that you can use a knife to cut it into smaller pieces. Throw them into your blender and blend them into powder form.
You can use the powder still in its moist form, or lightly roast it and store them away dry (keep longer). Your moist powder may appear whitish, or when roasted may appear orange in color.
Now you can use your avocado powder in any number of ways. Sprinkle the powder into your juices, smoothies, oatmeals, soups, salads and in just about any meals. Or simply put half a teaspoon of the powder into a cup, pour hot water, and make a tea infusion. Let steep for about 10 minutes.
Avocado seed powder is like your own super-healthy supplement powder. So next time you eat avocados, remember to save the seeds!